Charlie Daniels: the story behind It Hurts Me.

Einklappen
X

• Zeit
  • Anzeigen
Alles löschen
neue Beiträge
  • MARIE
    Gehört zum Inventar

Charlie Daniels: the story behind It Hurts Me.

It was just before Christmas, 1962, as future Country music icon Charlie Daniels was driving from El Paso, Texas, to the East Coast, that he began forming the idea that would become this song. Not very long afterwards his long-time friend Bob Johnston invited him to Nashville to co-write some songs, and they finished this one together.

Daniels remembers, "We just went on, and we finished it up, and Bob did a demo on it, and the company that he was writing for at the time - Hill And Range was the parent company that handled Elvis Presley Music and Gladys Music, which were Elvis Presley's 2 companies."

"Elvis came to town. He picked it up and held it for almost a year in what was called his portfolio. You know, they'd pick songs out for Elvis and when he'd go in to record, he'd review them, and if he liked it, he'd do it. So anyway, he recorded it, and it was by far," says Daniels, "the biggest thing that had ever happened to me in my life."

Although he never had the opportunity to shake Presley's hand, Daniels did get a chance to meet the King's daughter, Lisa Marie, at an event in Memphis. "I just got to tell her, I said, 'You know your dad picked one of my songs. I was a big fan,'" says Daniels.

With her sunglasses on, she resembles her famous father so much that it's "spooky," says Daniels with a laugh. "She looks like a miniature Elvis with, of course, feminine features."

Bob Johnston, who wrote this with Daniels, was writing under the name "Joe Byers" at the time. Daniels was credited as "Charles E. Daniels."

Charlie said the song had no autobiographical reference to anything happening in his life at the time. It just was an idea that popped into his head during that drive. And then he and Byers finished the song together.
    This song was relegated to the B-side of "Kissin' Cousins," and appears on over 25 subsequent Elvis Presley albums and compilations.

2008/07/09 www.elvisunlimited.com /
  • gast-20080915

"It hurts me" ... was für ein wunderschönes Lied ... und absolut perfekt für Elvis

als B-Seite von "Kissing Cousins" natürlich schwer underrated wie viele Balladenkleinode vom King

Kommentar

• michael grasberger
      Posting-Legende

Zitat von MARIE
      Bob Johnston, who wrote this with Daniels, was writing under the name "Joe Byers" at the time.
      das ist ein bisschen irreführend formuliert. joy (nicht joe!) byers war kein pseudonym sondern der name von johnstons frau, die ebenfalls songwriterin war. sie hat bei diesem song, wie sie in "writing for the king" erzählt, nur ein wenig mitgeholfen, aber auf wunsch ihres gatten bekam sie die songwriter credits.
      wie auch immer, eine der schönsten balladen, die elvis aufgenommen hat!

"We know that rock'n'roll was not a human invention, that it was the work of the Holy Ghost."
      (Nick Tosches)

Kommentar

• gast-20111607

Welcher Version gebt ihr den Vorzug, der Originalaufnahme von 1963, oder aber der Version von 1968 (NBC TV Special)?

Kommentar

• brandalarm
          Gehört zum Inventar

[ame="http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=XRLt6_jDK_g"]YouTube - Elvis Presley - It Hurts Me[/ame]

leider hat die Scheibe schon ein wenig gelitten...

[ame="http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=PPLrUvgsUxE"]YouTube - Elvis Presley-It hurts me (Part 1 Take 5, Part 2 Take 3)[/ame]

Because Elvis is so much more than the King...

Kommentar

• King77
            Board-Legende

Zitat von Richard Burton
            Welcher Version gebt ihr den Vorzug, der Originalaufnahme von 1963, oder aber der Version von 1968 (NBC TV Special)?
            Mir gefällt die Version von 64 besser,wei sie nicht so Orchester lastig klingt.

Kommentar

• rostabout
              Foren-Profi

Zitat von Richard Burton
              .. ich stehe eher auf die 68er Version

Kommentar

• burroughs
                Board-Legende

In dem Fall eindeutig die Erst-aufnahme
                Hinweis in eigener Sache:
                wenn du glaubst, dass ich mich dir gegenüber wie ein Arschloch verhalte, kannst du ziemlich sicher sein, dass du es verdient hast

Kommentar

Lädt...